Tuesday, 10 January 2012

Writing, my love and yet, the bane of my existence.

So today I received my first negative feedback on my writing, and I knew to expect it, and that it would be coming my way, but somehow that didn't soften the blow of hearing someone tell me (in not so many words, and also a lot more nicely) that it's not good. Truth be told, it really isn't good writing and I will have to work at it.

Anyhow it got me to thinking, why, after one little skerrick of constructive criticism does my mind go "GIVE IT UP! YOU'RE NO GOOD! STOP TRYING!" - yeah I'm really gonna need to get past that. I will eventually, most of my life I've given up on things that are too hard, if I'm brutally honest with myself (and I don't really like admitting that so try to go gently on my fragile ego) and so I'm even more determined to stick with this novel.

The thought of having to go through and meticulously rewrite all I've written so far because of how I've written it is a terrifying thought! But I'm intent on keeping to it and I will see this thing through if it KILLS ME!

Also I set up a website about my writing, I (obviously) haven't published anything yet, but I think it will be easier to keep track of my progress - feel free to check it out @ www.itisallwrite.webs.com. Eventually I will change it to my name but not for the moment.

Anyway do all things beautifully :) JP xx

4 comments:

  1. I found your blog through absolutewrite.com, and started reading to fill my lunchbreak. :)

    I have to reply to this post, because you're definitely not alone in dealing with rejection. I head up the "Read & Critique" sessions for my local writers' group, and I tell everyone that "feedback is a gift". Your writing isn't "bad", but just didn't meet the stringent criteria that one reviewer thought was important. A different reviewer might have different criteria. There's an important difference. I have Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's "The Builders" posted at work, and I'm reasonably sure that someone here would say that it's bad. Does that make it bad? Nope. Just someone's opinion.

    "You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time..." - twisting Abe Lincoln's quote a little

    You're dedicated to writing, and I'm sure that your dedication will carry you past this bump in the road.
    "Failure is a better teacher than success." - unknown
    "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Nietzsche
    "A journey of 100 miles begins with a single step." - Lao-tzu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! It's great to feel like I'm not alone in feeling like this about my writing. It's a comforting thought!

      Thanks also for your inspiring & motivating quotes, which have definitely encouraged me to keep writing :)

      I love your description of critique - that it doesn't fill a certain person's criteria for enjoyable writing, and I will keep that in mind as I get more and more feedback from critiquers :D your advice has been great :) Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog! I'll have to head on over to check out yours! :D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step." - Lao-tzu

    My keyboard isn't playing nice today.

    ReplyDelete