Saturday, 21 January 2012

The Prize Fight: Pen vs Keyboard

So, just about the whole day went by before I realised that I have neglected to post today (excluding word of the day of course)... so the topic? Handwriting, or typing? Which one do you prefer? I myself prefer to type, because I'm out of practise when it comes to handwriting, and I like to write neatly, so it takes me a long time and my hand tires quickly. As for typing, I do that all day at work (on and off) and I like to think of myself as fairly quick, however I probably can't hold a candle to most of you writers out there and my accuracy is totally shot.

Anyhow - what I'm interested in is what do you prefer? I love to handwrite, don't get me wrong, but just for short snippets of writing, perhaps a timed freewriting exercise... but that'd be about it! I have a beautiful journal that I'd love to fill but at least 50% of the pages are pasted on printouts where I've just written on the computer because it's quicker. Do any of you feel this way? Do you prefer typing because it's faster? Do you prefer to handwrite because it gets the 'creativity' flowing? Which I fully understand by the way. It gives my mind more time to think, however at the same time that could be a negative, now I think about it.

Let me know! I'm oh so curious!

Do all things beautifully, JP xx

8 comments:

  1. Till December 2010, I used to hand-write screenplays as I didn't have a computer then. It was double work because after writing on paper, I had to type the whole thing again in Final Draft software at work. Back then, handwriting was a necessity. Now I type everything (scripts and novels) for speeding up the work. I always make outlines and index-cards and have a clear idea of the plot points etc. So once my planning is done, I don't wait for creative sparks at the writing stage :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to get better at the whole 'outline' process. I just do most of my planning in Scrivener on corkboard - meaning I just write a smidge about what each chapter will be about. Not very high tech is it! :p

      Delete
  2. Typing is much easier and quicker, and it's a lot harder for readers to tell where you scratched things out and started over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree :) I like that with typing, I can keep up with my thoughts, when I'm handwriting I have too much time to think about what I'm writing before I get it on the page. Because of this, I end up editing while I'm writing, which is a bad thing!

      Delete
  3. I usually write by hand first and then type. While typing is faster, my mind seems to work better when I am physically write. By the way... Love your blog, especially the word of the day. I may have to steal the idea for my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! Steal the idea! I love sharing words that I love saying :)

      I like handwriting because of the... motion? I think that's the best word, I enjoy the act of handwriting, it's just hard for me to keep up with my train of thought!

      Delete
  4. I type, but on an interesting note, I read in Writer's Digest magazine about some published author (poor bloke, I forgot his name). He said he always writes the first draft because the he is less tempted to revise while writing. Better to write first, revise later.

    I tried it and it did help in that aspect, but it's too slow. So now I tell myself "don't revise yet, or I'll make you handwrite this!" And I know I mean business, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love this! I find the opposite, when I handwrite, because I can't get the words on the page quick enough, I mull them over in my head a few times first and then can't pick what I want to write!

      Delete