Sunday, 15 January 2012

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins


As I spent the night at my parent's house in the country, it was 9pm when I crawled into the rickety double bed, and by yellow lamplight I opened this book and began to read. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins had me up until 12:59am reading.

I'm introduced to hardened, sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen, who's cynical nature coupled with her deep running love for her younger sister Primrose, immediately wins my affection for the girl. She has dedicated her life to the survival of her family since her father's death in the coal mine for which her district is known. In the day to day acts of her life - illegal hunting and trading for survival - we see the tough stuff that Katniss is made of. As she faces the trials of the hunger games - volunteering to save her sister's life - the reader is already on board to support her through an event that must surely end in her death.

As romance blossoms, betrayals experienced and alliances made, the reader follows Katniss on her journey to survive against 24 other tributes in the Hunger Games. Collins does an extremely good job of keeping readers on the edge of the next twist with her skilled and suspenseful writing, with each character having a clear voice, successfully carried throughout the work. 

My only criticism would be that I was often stopping to re-read sentences that were poorly constructed, or where the grammar had me looking at the page in confusion. In one instance there was a sentence that had a question mark at the end - that clearly posed no question. However the book, for all it's grammatical flaws, told a superb story, and I eagerly await getting my hands upon the next book in the series - Catching Fire.

The series is set to be made into a motion picture, to be released in Australia on March 22, 2012, and America on March 23rd. All the information about the film can be found on it's website.

I thoroughly recommend reading this book by all who love an absorbing read. 4 out of 5.

Do all things beautifully, JP. xx

Picture courtesy of http://indidbooks.global2.vic.edu.au/2011/02/10/the-hunger-games-suzanne-collins/. I do not and never have had the rights to this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment