Monday, 16 January 2012

Bucking up and dishing out crits...

Yesterday I was inspired to head along to the share your work boards on AW and critique a work. I usually offer critiques for shorter pieces (500 words and less) but decided to give it a go on a longer piece of work, to give back to the AW community.

Motivated to give back, I selected a 1500+ word piece and printed it off, so I might edit it more thoroughly and do a better job than I might on a computer screen. After about 45 minutes of reading, editing and re-reading I posted my line by line crit - which took a long time as well, as the format of posting is HTML so I had to ensure all my comments were in the right brackets for colour & italics and so on and so forth.

About two hours after I'd initially set my goal, I finally posted my huge long crit on this work (which had a really interesting concept by the way). Through this - I understand MUCH more fully why we need to appreciate those that crit our work for us. I put loads of time into this crit and I didn't receive a single mention from the OP, I don't want to complain, just recognition of my time and effort would have been nice, however the board then devolved and I'm not even sure that he took my advice on board - fair enough if it's not good advice, but knowing it was appreciated would have made me feel all warm and fuzzy, and encourage me to do it again.

I digress, I'd just like to point out that it made me really appreciate those people who have done crits for me. I'm going to make it a point to PM them and thank them for their time. Knowing how it is on the other side of the fence does things for you!

Have any of you ever experienced this? Have you spent ages working on something for someone else (perhaps longer than I did!) only to received no thanks for your time? Let me know, I'm curious as to whether this is the way it is or if I'm just being a smidge entitled here!

Do all things beautifully JP xx

3 comments:

  1. Hello!

    Just a fellow AWer peeking in per your thoughtful invitation. Well-written and brilliant layout as well--hat tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been playing around with my layout for ages to try and find something readable :)

      Good luck on your latest project!

      Delete
  2. You're welcome. Thanks for your thoughtfulness. Keep your creative juices flowing, and become the writer blossoming inside of you. Best...

    ReplyDelete