Sunday, 4 December 2011

A kid comes out of the bathroom with toilet paper dangling from his or her waistband.

So this one was really hard for me to think of something to write about... but here's what I ended up with :/

Dear Diary,
Today Michael Moore came out of the bathroom with toilet paper hanging out of his waistband. The poor kid gets picked on enough as it is. I think I was the first to notice, anyway I went up to him and quietly whispered in his ear. His face flushed red but he quickly removed it and thanked me with a shy smile. He was such a quiet boy, and nobody really knew him, he always kept to himself and was an easy target for the other kids in my year to pick on. Mostly it was the girls. It broke my heart when I friend of mine invited him to the ball, only to stand him up and go with Geoff Bridges. He was so nice today when he thanked me. I think I'm going to try and talk to him more often. I don't know why he's quiet or why he's picked on, but surely he'd like to have a friend. Maybe I'll try and make more of an effort with him. I don't care if people pick on me for doing it, but I don't think they will. Let's see how it goes eh?


Dear Diary,
I sat next to Michael in chemistry today. It's the only class that we have together apart from gym. He seemed surprised that I sat down next to the usually vacant seat next to him. I got a few weird looks from my mates when they took their seats, but it smoothed over as soon as class started. He's actually really smart. We were studying new chains and such and he picks things up so quickly. We didn't talk much, I didn't think he would, but he smiled and helped me when I asked him a question that I didn't understand. It's a start right?


Dear Diary,
Today was a bad day. I should have known I couldn't keep being nice to Michael and not have people turn their attention from him to me. Idiots. It was really hard but I stood my ground. I'm awful with comebacks so I just ignored everything they said to me. I can't believe how quickly some of the girls that were my friends turned on me. A couple gave me a quick 'sorry' glance but for the most part they tried to avoid eye contact. My best friend Amelia was away today, perhaps she'll make a change tomorrow.


Dear Diary,
Amelia was here today. She can't understand what I'm doing, I was hoping she'd come sit with me but no cigar. I hope it will start getting better soon.


Dear Diary,
My friends stopped sitting with me in my other classes today.


Dear Diary,
Michael told me something interesting today. He thanked me for standing up for him, but also explained a little of his home life to me. I was surprised because he seemed to really open up for a bit, even though he seemed to regret letting so much out at the end, but I think it was good for him. He lives at home with his mum. She doesn't get out of bed most days and drinks vodka like water. He seemed resilient, as if he'd hardened himself to the facts and it didn't seem to upset him as much as it might have once. I couldn't believe how strong this boy is. He has a pretty hard home life, practically looking after himself, well literally looking after himself, and he still has to deal with all this shit at school. It made me more confident to keep up this thing I have going on. I'm not really sure why I'm doing it but I feel more sure that it's the right thing to do now.


Dear Diary,
Amelia came and sat with Michael and I today. He didn't talk much, I think he was a bit apprehensive as she was often sat with the group that taunted us. But it was good, it wasn't awkward, we just did our chemistry questions in silence for the most part, and when I asked a question and Michael answered, Amelia said "Thank god we've got someone who knows what this is all about," which made the corners of his mouth tweak upwards a little. Baby steps.


Dear Diary,
The girls at school are trying to revoke my place on the netball team. I know that they'll never be successful because I'm quite good and they won't be able to find a legitimate reason to get rid of me. But netball is going to be hell, and it upsets me that they would go to such lengths merely because I'm friends with Michael now. I haven't told anyone about his home life, not Amelia or even my parents. I feel as though it would be a huge betrayal of his trust. And I don't want to lose that.


Dear Diary,
Michael and I hung out after school today, we went to the park and I shouted us ice-creams because it was a freaking SCORCHER today. We had a good time and Michael ended up talking more than me! It's great, he's really funny and so so smart! He just catches onto things first and sees so much, I guess it's because he's so quiet in school he has more time to observe because he's not talking and screaming like most people in our year. He really is a great guy and I don't understand why people won't get to know him. He is very shy of conflict though, so perhaps this is why he just takes it all. He's so tolerant and he must be the strongest person I know. Even when we talk about the people giving us shit, he makes excuses for them, saying that they're just unhappy in their lives and it's easier for them to take it out on us. I really admire him for his courage and understanding, he's so grown up! It was a great day :)


Dear Diary,
Today Michael and I were walking down the halls at lunch and Olivia, a particularly spiteful girl I used to be friends with shouted "Ooohh Michael & Jamie sitting in a tree.." well you know the rest. So - and I still can't explain what made me do this - I grabbed Michael's hand as we were walking, and walked right past her with my head up, hand in hand with him. I'm so glad he didn't pull away. He looked over at me and smiled slightly, before turning his head back to the ground. We held hands until we got to our table to eat. Safe to say Olivia was stunned and she shut up pretty quick. Michael is a beautiful person, and before I couldn't see it, but he's actually pretty attractive! I might be bias but I think he's kinda hot :P...oh well, only time will tell diary.

No comments:

Post a Comment